See, good stuff! Anyway, she's cleaning house making room for their new family member!! Yup, my sister is pregnant!! Gavin is going to have another cousin - yippy! This is good news that has been waited on, not sure was going to happen, but blessedly has!! She is about 16 weeks along and is feeling great. We are all very excited for her and her husband.Ok, so this post does have a reason and not just showing pictures of shampoo! Anyway, I had read that the Ronald McDonald Family Room is always looking for donations of personal care items and snacks. When Gavin was in the NICU, only 2 people were allowed at his bedside, so we would trade off and hang out at the Family Room where they provide snacks, TV, Internet, shower, etc. Today Jon, Gavin and I took Jennifer's donations to the RMFR at St. John's (Thanks Jennifer!) and took a look around. We decided to go see the new and improved NICU as Jon had not seen it since it was remodeled - it is BEAUTIFUL!! I often tell Gavin that he was born too early times 2 since were in the dregs of the old NICU while they completed the new one. Anyway, while we were peering through the window the nurse at the front recognized us and asked if we wanted to come in. As hard as the NICU was and how sad you are for those that have to experience it, it is such joy to go back to visit and realize just how far your child has come. While we were chatting, Dr.Chao walked by and he recognized us as well. As I was introducing him to the 2 year old Gavin, I started crying while I was explaining to Gavin how he lived there for 2 months and Dr. Chao took care of him. I haven't cried in a while, really, but it is so emotional to revisit those days, months, when we were just trying to make it from day to day and trying not to beg those poor doctors for something they could not give - a possible release date. Dr. Chao asked if we wanted a tour and we quickly agreed. I tried to find pictures on the Internet so you could see too, but I could only find this. The new rooms are private and calming and quiet, with only the soft beep from the heart monitors in the background. If you remember, Gavin was in a room of 7 babies so it was not quiet and it was definitely not private. I think it would be a bit isolating to be in a private room and I think about how I often passed the time just watching the other babies, their nurses and their parents while holding Gavin or waiting for him to wake up for his next feeding. But on the other hand, how lovely to have your own space to be with your baby and not have to put on a brave face for everyone else. So, it was an emotional day but a good day because it reminded me once again how far Gavin has come and how blessed we are to have him in our lives at all. Plus, my "cousin" Sunny is hard at work trying to NOT deliver twins a day too early, and worrying about NICU life. Therefore I'll also make sure to note that I do look back at our days with fondness for all the AMAZING nurses and neonatologists we had the priveledge of meeting. These people treat your baby as if they are their own and are so supportive and kind to the parents. I still keep in contact through facebook with a few of the nurses that took care of Gavin. It is a community that stays together and if you ever meet another NICU parent, you instantly feel a bond with them and share "how little was yours?" stories. I had a few friends who were happy to have the "how to" tips that I learned from our days in the NICU! "Rub the magic head" was one of my favorites - for tough to burp, reflux babies, rub their head a bit - it gets them to relex and amazingly, to burp!
Do you remember how little he was? Here's a trip down memory lane and then a look at our yardstick tall Gavin today!
The day he was born - 4 hours old! 

This is really the only picture I have that shows his size relative to something - my hand. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish I had put something next to him to compare his size - a pencil, a ruler, etc..jpg)
.jpg)
Here is kind Dr.Chao that we visited with today in the boring "space" Gavin called home. Now the rooms are pleasing pastel colors and have adorable fabric ribbon boards on the wall to hang pictures on. Hopefully it makes the journey a little easier for all the new parents!.jpg)
.jpg)
Yup, here he is 2 years later! Isn't his warm-up adorable? My co-worker from when I worked in retail during college sent this when he was born and he looks great in it! Go State!
We went to the Magic House (a children's museum) with our friends. Big surprise that Gavin loved the wheel - it played music when you dragged a rod against the spindles.
He also liked the water room!
Our snow is gone, and my camera was broke when we went sledding, but here is what our yard looked like a week or so ago. It was pretty while it lasted!
If you are reading the blog today, will you take the time to leave a comment so I know you are out there? Nothing big, just an "I'm reading" will suffice. I know this is different from the website, but I still like to hear from you!
We went to the Magic House (a children's museum) with our friends. Big surprise that Gavin loved the wheel - it played music when you dragged a rod against the spindles.
He also liked the water room!
Our snow is gone, and my camera was broke when we went sledding, but here is what our yard looked like a week or so ago. It was pretty while it lasted!
If you are reading the blog today, will you take the time to leave a comment so I know you are out there? Nothing big, just an "I'm reading" will suffice. I know this is different from the website, but I still like to hear from you!

Ooooh, I love those little samples! They combine two of my favorite things, fancy toilettries and mini packaging.
ReplyDeleteI will respond to your email, but let me just say how much I appreciate your support and suggestions for the journey we are on. None of us would choose this, but it's comforting to know we are not alone.
Oh, and regarding comments... I do know that some people aren't really sure how to leave them on blogs. My grandma and aunt (not lynn) email me instead because they have trouble with it. :) A great way to see how many hits you are getting is Google Analytics. It has easy instructions about pasting a code into your blog (people don't see it) and then when you log into Analytics, it tells you how many people visit your blog each day, as well as other details about them (where they live, how they linked to your blog, etc.).
I'm stalking...I mean reading ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm verclempt (sp?)! ;)
ReplyDeleteI must say, I am a blog virgin, but I did enjoy reading yours (for the first time, sadly). I can't believe that photo of Gavin at 4 months...just crazy. Can't believe I haven't talked to you since Christmas...hope all is well. Let's catch up soon. Maggie
ReplyDeleteI meant 4 hours, not 4 months
ReplyDelete